rwd, WRXs et al vs: Alfa

I'm having a ball reading this stuff...
Look, the big thing with the Rex is that it's not portrayed to be an
Audi. It's an entry level car with heavy factory mods. It's not an Audi
or BMW, but it also is far cheaper than an A4 as well. Lots of Audi and
BMW trades here... $25K is alot of money, but considered cheap compared
to other comparable cars.

You have to compare apples fairly. It's 227 hp stock. Another car with
that power package is far more money. Also, a very good suspension and
AWD system. It has no rival in the US market yet. Mitsubishi is hot on
it's tail.

The difference with the WRX to Alfas is this:
1) you can buy one (new)
2) Alfas, relative to when they were made, were optimized engines, tough
to make big gains without big money modifications. The WRX, is very
conservative stock. An MRT Austrailia Exhaust adds 25 hp AT THE WHEELS!
It's easy to get over 300 hp from that little 2 liter with just simple
bolt ons.
3) Later Alfas were (wrongly, in my opinion) pushed upscale and lost the
"pure sports car" flavor that the other markers enjoyed. ie; GTA 156.

All I can tell you is that this is the same stuff we'll hear when the
new Generalized Alfas arrive. Most folks here aren't the market. There
is a big market for the WRX, and is 50% over first year projections. All
I can tell you is that it's Automobile Mag's COY, and has had NO bad
press. So, who's right? Opinions, all of them.

Regarding the Saabs, I have a 2.0 turbo, and a 2.3 non turbo (both 9000)
. It's a strong durable motor, but it's no TS.
The Alfa TS revs much happier, but the turbo Saab at 270K is using no
oil and is solid as a rock. Different intentions. Saabs are a different
ball game. The 164 is fun and frolic, the 9000 is all business. It's a
good older system, but conservative. New ones are more modern, as I
understand.

I don't buy my Alfas for durability, practicality, penultimate
performance, best use of space, quality of materials or low maintenance,
as it fails in most categories, but I also recognize that even the 164
is an aging concept. It WAS great when new. It's old tech now. I buy
them because I like them. WRX buyers are doing the same thing.

Bill

--
      Mastro Motors Inc.
 Alfa Romeo, Subaru, WRX performance parts