Side mirrors - bolt 'em

I fully agree with John H.'s recommendation to bolt on the side mirrors.  I
have no experience at all with the mounting scheme on a GTV and therefore I
wouldn't argue with John H. about blind nuts, etc.  My experience with my
Spider, Alfetta, and long-gone 1750 Berlina is a little different.  In those
cases, the door has three holes and a backing plate is used that has three
threaded holes in it. The plate is fastened to the inside of the door with a
short (slot head) 4mm cap screw in the middle.  The other two holes align
with the mirror base, and the mirror attaches to them, covering the head of
the middle screw. When it's fully installed, the mirror is effectively
anchored onto the door at three points. Also, this arrangement allows the
mirror to be removed and replaced as required without relying on glue or
necessitating door panel removal.

James, I have a spare OE mirror (on it's way to the plating shop) which
still has a backing plate attached.  The dimensions of the backing plate are
as follows:  the plate is 4" long, 0.75" wide and 4mm thick.  It has 4mmx0.7
holes in the ends which are 9.3mm apart, and a similar threaded hole in the
exact centre.  Since we're almost neighbours, contact me off-line if you
want to use my backing plate as a pattern, and I'm sure we can arrange
something.

Regarding mirrors, I have a question for John H.

The OE mirrors that I have are conical, but have no AR logo cast into them
on the nose of the housing. As far as I can determine, one of them came with
my Spider Jr. and the other was OE on a 105.71 Berlina.    I have also seen
them on a few other Alfas from the late sixties.  My question is, were the
nearly identical mirrors with the logo OE or were they an aftermarket
upgrade that came about at a later time?  Or, were both OE at different
times?

You're one of the few who might know!

Regards;

George Beston