RE: Alfa comparos to Audi

Well, let me first say that if the 156 was selling in the US, I wouldn't be
driving the Audi.  But the A4 does a very nice job in a world lacking of new
Alfas.  Although it's really my wife's car she's allowed me to spend a few
days on the track with it, drive it like an Alfa in the mountains, and
generally have fun with it.  The short answer is that the Audi A4 quattro
does everything wonderfully, from getting groceries to surprising "B" cars.
It's obviously different than the Alfa driving experience in that one finds
delight in the fact that the Audi can go extremely fast without really
breaking a sweat.  Whereas the Alfa really makes me work to get the best out
of it, a different kind of fun.  With quattro, you wonder why the car your
following so enthusiastically through the mountains is braking so early, and
why they don't get on the gas earlier.  The definition of Surefootedness I
guess.  Mind you, not in a front driver plowing-can't-do-anything-else kind
of way, just confidence building.  I for one hope that Alfa offers some sort
of AWD system on their cars when they return because Quattro has me spoiled.
I don't know if your looking for a new or used one, but my only concern for
the newer model is that it is significantly heavier than the last.  Buy it,
drive it till Alfa comes back, and then trade it in on a new Alfa (if you
can part with it!)

Mark Kingsbury
Mine -- 84 GTV-6 Maratona
~ROMAN RACING~ 82 Spider ITB (FOR SALE!)
Wife's -- 98.5 Audi A4 1.8T QMS
Dog's -- Volvo V8