Quit trashing GM engines

One thing GM does extremely well is engines. Come to think of it, their
transmissions ain't bad either. And if anybody knows a company who does
HVAC better, name it.

The current Corvette engine puts out 405 hp from 5.7 litres of PUSHROD
valve train. Imagine what those guys could do with a Northstar if they
wanted to. Both Northstar engines, the V8 and the lesser known Aurora V6
are top flight powerplants.

SAAB builds a very nice four cylinder turbo that loafs along at 230 hp from
2.3 litres. Of course, that isn't a GM design, it's actually a Triumph
design, tho the current engine bears only passing resemblance to the
original. Point is GM has not touched the powerplant. In fact, I believe
they have applied some of the engine management knowledge acquired form
SAAB to other powerplants. Certainly the Opel/Vauxhall V6 is a better motor
since SAAB got hold of it.

What we need from GM is product support. If GM brings Alfa over it will be
the very first time Alfa has been sold in North America with continent wide
factory backed support. Let me assure you that one other thing GM knows how
to do is organize parts and service. As a SAAB owner since 1978 the current
state of affairs is a dream compared to the bad old days of independent
importers, or even when SAAB was running the importation and service
directly. Since 1991 owning a SAAB has become as ordinary as owning a Chevy
Van, in all the good senses of that wording. In Canada, we are twice
blessed in that GM decided to assign the SAAB franchise to the Saturn
dealers. Almost all parts for my 86 and 97 SAABs are either in stock or two
days away. A one week wait for a parklight cluster is the exception to what
was commonly the rule earlier. If GM does the same for Alfa things really
will be rosy. You'll even be able to get "vintage" Alfa parts that will fit
my ancient 164L...
C M Smith
(403) 282 9740
(403)234 7779 (Office)