hydraulic tensioner

My goodness, what a busy Sunday this has been for the Alfa Digest.

Anyway, I'm in the process of rebuilding an old hydraulic tensioner
(thanks, Obie) to put on my GTV6 (the Zat unit on there now is just
too scary), and I have a couple of questions.  Have any of you ever
rebuilt one of these things with the kit from AR Ricambi before?
Where do all the dang o-rings go?  Also, before I trust my valves to
one of these things again, I'd like to know how exactly it works.
How can oil pressure be related to the thermal expansion of the
engine?  I know it gets thinner as it gets warmer, but pressure also
drops when revs drop.  So does this thing tighten the belt when I rev
the engine?  And what keeps the belt from falling off on cold starts?
I believe you all when you say it's more reliable than the mechanical
unit, but I'd really like to know why it works in the first place.

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6