Alfa comparos to Audi

At the risk of revitalizing this: what would I buy instead thread, I point
out that an A4 with merely front wheel drive is not the same beast as the
Audi Quattro version. Front drive Audis continue to be dull, softly sprung,
mushmobiles.

The Quattro's are definitely not too softly sprung, even in the non sport
version. Once you get used to the awd feel, the A4 Quattro has real
character, though in common with every German car I've driven (including
the vaunted Porsche 911) it has very little spirit.

The A4 is only in the running if no Alfa is available. The salient feature
of Alfa in our market at the moment is it isn't.

Once Ford gets the bugs out of its new X type, that is the closest you can
currently get to the feel of an Alfa on the road. The Ford ...er
ahem...Jaguar awd system is very good. the Cosworth tune up of the Ford
engines is also extremely good. The chassis is brilliant, even in the
regular mode. I did not try the sport chassis.

References herein are to recent "vintage" Alfa's, not "true" Alfa's, such
as my 164L which continues to be the most emotional drive in my current
experience. 'scuse me while I go out and weep gently on the hood for a
moment....
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada