Re: CVT vs Selespeed

Hi

>>The other thing that I find interesting about
Multitronic is that the marketing makes much of it
having a number of preselected positions, simulating
fixed gears.<<

This is probably because most people find it very
strange having a totally lack of relationship between
engine revs and speed. Quite a few CVT equiped cars
have such set ups.

>>No -- those figures are for the CVT/Multitronic versus
the 6-speed manual.<<

Seems strange then. Oh well

>>Same as the autobox rental cars I seem to get stuck
with -- the right pedal changes the pitch with
kickdown, but has no effect on forward motion.<<

And even a Ford Falcon we hired in Aus a few years
back. Look at the accelerator and it kicked down a
gear, push it and it kicked down 2 (just about trying to
snap your neck in the process), but that just meant
it was doing 5400rpm rather than 1700rpm, with
no more go at all.

>>The same description applies to my 356 at the moment,
sad to say...  with the difference being that it isn't
meant to be that way.<<

Mmm, Renault dealers managed to screw up the
clutchless manual a few years back. Of course nobody
had heard of this problem before, which was by the
faulty ECU was temporarily out of stock at the
UK importer<g>

>> Not all that different in feel from the
centrifugal clutch and single-speed gear in a racing
kart, at least in the midrange, but NOTHING like the
feeling of coming on the cam, er, port in a
high-performance two-stroke when you get to the 14,000
RPM power peak.  Whoosh!<<

Real fun is a 2 stroke fixed gear kart (ie, one sprocket on
the crank and another on the rear axle). Bit of a pain
if you stall it through

>>But thanks for the additional information on the
Selespeed, Keith.  Even though it does nothing, I'm
afraid, to make me any happier that I can't go out and
try it out for myself...<<

Oh well, they will probably over some time. They are
getting cheaper here, but then all 2nd hand car values
are nose diving in the UK

All the best

Keith