That Alfa Abarth, before Colani

In AD8-0338 Ron Horowitz writes "John Hertzman left out one important detail:
the Colani-bodied Alfa-Abarth is fabulously ugly. I don't recall ever seeing
the Scaglione version, but since Scaglione's one of my favorite designers, I'm
sure it must have been much, much better (even after the wreck.)"

Sorry, I thought my generally pejorative opinion of Colani's designs was
implicit in my understatement about his "highly individualistic aesthetics".
My fault for trying to be charitable and seem non-judgmental.

My opinion about the appearance of the Abarth-Alfa, pre-Colani, is at least as
high as Ron's could be. It was appreciably smaller and sleeker (and reputedly
200 kg lighter) than the Giulietta Zagato, which would be my first choice for
aesthetics among production Giuliettas, and makes the Zagato seem relatively
crude and unsophisticated. It also, to my eyes, made the Giulietta Sprint
Spinta, the show car which was developed into the Sprint Speciale, look
relatively bloated and blowsy. On appearance, for me it would be a strong
contender for the title of Nicest Alfa Ever. If I had it I would put it in the
middle of my living-room. I wouldn't expect to drive it, as I would probably
have to have either my torso sectioned or the upper half of my head amputated
- which I know some would consider an improvement, aesthetically and
otherwise.

You can find pictures of the car in the Road & Track report on the 1958 Turin
show- I'm snowed-in at the wrong house, so can't give you the issue and page-
and undoubtedly in other reports on the show. I believe there is a chapter on
it, including photos under construction, in in the Vito Witting da Prato &
Donald Hughes book on The Racing Giuliettas, also at the other house.
Something of a compliment, as it was more a stillborn Etceterini than a
full-fledged racing Giulietta.

The only other showcar of the period I can remember which made as big an
impression on me at the time, aesthetically, was a Michelotti-designed Lotus
eleven, which made other Loti seem - well - unsophisticated, and rather
British. But underneath, that was what it was, nice, but not ambrosia. Not an
Alfa, nor any of the other small twincams that shell deserved.

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.