mostly Alfa-related rambling thoughts-longish

First - Happy Holidays to all.  The cultural diversity police have
landed on my front lawn and proscribed the new seasonal holiday as:
Chrisnukkahkwanzadon.  That may be hypphenated at your own discretion.
I'll leave it alone, now.

I found myself in an unusual predicament about a month ago.  My "other
car" (daily drive, Alfa Saver, etc) got bashed by a hit-and-run at 4
something in the morning, while I slept.  The only tangible thing I got
out of it was a rather well shat on Toyota hubcap.  And a police
report.  whoopee!  Intangible goods included using the Alfetta as my
daily driver for nearly a month while the insurance company and the body
shop waited for parts and beaurocracy.  Nearly a month of waiting, and
at least my GTI is whole again.
Thought of massive grunge is that there was about $4500 in damage
resulting from a hit it the left front, hard enough to push the car to
the curb, The sobering thought is that if I had an earlier 164, not
matter how nice it might have been before the crunch, the insurance
company would likely have fought for a totalling of the car.  No matter
that it could have been, relatively easily, repaired and back on the
road.  Sad thought, indeed.

On the good side of the incident, was that I got to drive the Alfa for
all sorts of things that it normally doesn't do.  Grocery-getting,
picking up the cleaning, commuting.  I am glad that all of the minor
nits had been picked clean, and it ran like a charm.  Hard to start
every once in a while, and I hav to track down (another) exhaust leak,
but it started and ran, every time.  Testimony to my mechanic, Santo in
Northridge (shameless plug!) and my desire to have the car ready to go
whenever I should need it.  I needed it, and it went well.  Certainly
better than renting a 3-cyl Metro Sprint!!

I also found some clear acrylic, NOT silicone, sealing compound at my
local hardware store.  If the Alfa was to be in the rain, and it was,
then I needed a better seal on the back hatch window.  The Alfetta hatch
is rusted through in the lower left corner.  I have not yet replaced the
hatch with the GTV6 part. (It is black.  The car is ivory, and the new
hatch WILL be installed when I have the car painted, soon.) I ran a bead
of the sealer on both sides of the stainless trim, aroung the window.  I
think I have successfully forstalled the inevitable.  I wouldn't
recommend this as a permanent cure, but considering that I will be
replacing, not repairing, rear hatch anyway, I wasn't too concerned
about long-term effects of the sealer.

Also found out the hard way, that one should not use rubbing compound on
cars with clear coat.  Duh!  Thought about it afterwards, rather than
before.  At least I got the parking lot paint off my fiance's non-Alfa
(multiple locations).  What I did try to ease the condition was some of
Meguiar's plastic polish.  I think it was #10.  I believe this has been
used by some to polish the rear window in Spiders.  I think I found
another use, albeit a bit by accident.  Necessity, mothers of invention,
and all that.

I've taken enough of your time.  Get back to the party, already in
progress!!

Jay Negrin
1976 Alfetta GT
ARO Southern California