Re: 7" Headlamp comparison +

If those Cibies are the old concave type lens (makes me think they are,
since you mention P45 base bulbs), they were designed before the advent of
halogen bulbs.   The concave face was supposed to be more self-cleaning
than the typical convex lamp.

The P45-based halogen bulb was not an approved E-Code bulb in the days that
I marketed Cibies. They were produced as a way to get more light out of old
lens assemblies.  The Cibie factory vigorously opposed their use in the
concave lens lamps, since the placement of the filament in the focal point
of the parabolic reflector put it too close to the lens glass, and would
cause heat stress and cracking.  This was the standard 60/55w variety.   If
there is a lower wattage P45 base bulb available,  it should lessen the
risk of cracking those expensive lenses.

Bruce Blair
Seattle