Re: 164 Tire Wear

Wow, you guys have been getting a lot more out of your tires than I
have!  I just must have some serious toe issues.  I have been through
3 sets of tires in 3 years (about 12k a year)!  It is expensive to
change them every year - but I get to try a variety of tires!  When I
bought the car with Goodyear Eagle GT IIs on it.   The tires didn't
last for that long, but I wasn't sure how many miles they already had
on them.  Those tires were bad; slippery, noisy, etc.  After they
were gone, I bought Dunlop SP Sport 5000s.  These 205/ 60/15 V rated
tires were better in all ways; rain, stickiness (though not that
sticky) and quieter.  I used them up rather quickly though.  I got
involved in more 'spirited' driving...2 autocrosses, and one driving
school at Willow Springs.  After Willow, they were toast ;-)  as
expected.  So, on I went to my next set Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce.
These tires were very much like the Dunlops.  I bought them in the
same size, and they were also V rated.  Be careful though - they come
in H rated in the same size!  After I had left the tire shop I
noticed that they said 90H on the side, and back I went to get the V
rated ones I paid for!  The only difference was wet traction, which
improved.  I thought that these tires would last longer since I
wasn't going to be doing any autocrosses or driving schools in them
(now that I had another car for race purpose only).  Not the case
though...they only lasted a year.  Exactly a year.  So, now I have
Yokohama AVS dBs, also in the same size and V rated.  I have had them
for 2 weeks and they are quiet.  I haven't gotten to test them in the
rain or twisties yet, but I expect that they will be the best tires
that I have had to date.  I am hoping that with more regular
alignment that they will last longer than the rest, and that I won't
be looking to buy new ones next December!

Shannon Marshall
'91  164L  (with an S engine)  heehee