RE: Backwaters and back axles

> First of all, how do I tell which part of my rear axle is making noise at
> cruising speeds?  I can't afford anything, but would rather pay for axle
> bearings than a differential.  More to the point, how can I make the noise
> BE a rear axle bearing?

Lift the rear of the car, rotate each wheel holding your ear close to it.
If it's a bearing you should be able to hear/feel the grinding out at the
wheel.

Change the fluid in the diff.  If there's not a lot of metal on the drain
magnet, or large gear teeth, then chances are there's nothing wrong with
your diff.

If the problem is in your diff, but you'd like there to be a problem in the
wheel bearing, then you could always take apart the bearing, pour some sand
in it, put it back together, and drive for a little while.  I don't think
that will help much with the diff, however.

If you really want to move the problem as far away from the diff as
possible, you could always open the oil cap and pour some sand in there..

Happy holidays.  I'd recommend you stay out of the rain for a while, maybe
an umbrella would make a nice xmas gift for you.

bs