Re: Ugly and tinny cars & an odd Alfa 75

In a message dated 12/19/01 5:34:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dixiedean@domain.elided writes:

> If Tim is so high on Skodas,
> they must have improved an awful lot.

VW currently owns Skoda and manages it's primary manufacturing line and
contributes design services much to the benefit of Skoda. Skoda now
manufactures the Polo for VW sales in the EU. Previously, in the 80's and
early 90's, Skoda was producing what were essentially Nissan Sentras under a
partnership arrangement. They were about what you'd expect in quality,
considering what the market there then could afford to pay. Having lived in
Prague in '94 for grad school, I drove a number Skodas, and found them to be
acceptable. I also enjoyed watching the 70's vintage rear-engined Skodas
racing in the local autocross and rally events-- great fun.

Also seen rolling around Prague was an Alfa 75 wagon... in metallic purple! I
have no idea where this beast came from.
Holiday Cheers,
Paul Mitchell