V-6 engine ticking

Upon starting up my Milano 2.5 this morning, I noticed a ticking noise coming
from the engine.  It is a pretty loud and consistent click-clack kind of
noise.  It gets faster as you accelerate.  The engine sounds like a Mercedes
diesel or a tractor.  I ended up driving the car home kind of slowly. It did
seem to have plenty of power,  but I didn't try to drive it hard.  Any guesses
on what I might be looking at?  Valves, injectors?
I filled up at an ARCO last night for the first time in years.  Could it just
be bad gas?  (I am hoping, but I have a feeling it's not.)   The car usually
gets fed Chevron or Shell btw.

Thanks,

Peter
AROSC