re: 2 lanes out of 3

I'm not one to make fun of typos, but this had gone on long enough
that I can't stop giggling.  The original thread referred to "3 lanes
out of 2" but in his second reference to it, Zach mistakenly said "2
lanes out of 3" and the inversion was continued in todays' digest!
No wonder Americans can't drive, we can't even type!  When to
opposing cars pull halfway into their respective shoulders to let a
third car overtake one of them, that's 2 => 3 car widths on the road,
i.e. "3 lanes out of 2."  "2 lanes out of 3" is more like what you
get on an American 6-lane freeway when two of the three lanes
travelling in a given direction (typically the right-most "slow" lane
and the left-most "passing" lane) are both blocked by fat Americans
going 55mph in their Buicks and (as Luca once said) eating
"full-of-greasy-shits hot dogs" and not paying any attention, while
the third (central) lane is occupied by a row of "fast" Americans,
travelling 65mph in their SUV's and talking on their "cell" (as we
call them in America, despite their having nothing to do with cells)
phones--giving the motorist on the 3-lane road only two choices of
speed, or "2 lanes out of 3."

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6