popping plenum

In a message dated 12/14/2001 2:16:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I have had my Milano for many years and have read of the plenum on the top
> of the engine popping off due to a back-fire when first starting.  Well,
> this happened to me today!  The rear of the plenum was pushed up off of the
> short hoses or tubes that connect it to the engine.  I loosened the clamps,
> pushed everything back down tight, and retightened and everything seems ok.
> First, do I need to do anything else?  Second, anything to prevent this
> from
> reoccurring?  I think I have read not to touch the gas pedal at all when
> starting, which I do not think I do, dos this help?

Do not touch the gas when starting.

You should slightly looses the screws on the air induction plumbing so that
if there is a backfire/detonation again, it will pop off only the black
plastic tube (probably at the AFM connection) and not the plenum, which is
not only a bigger issue to deal with but can also wreck your hood.  It is a
wise idea and the conventional wisdom to keep the air induction attachments
slightly loose on a 6 for just this reason.

Best luck!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA