RE: The Shame of Portello

> In the diatribe below, Bob wails and moans at the "insensitivities" and
> implied greed of those who didn't preserve what he thinks should have
> been.
>
> Alfa Romeo, and it's officers are in business precisely because there
> exists the greed (what a lousy term for it) for profits. If Alfa hadn't
> made any money, or was without a "deep pockets" supporter whose pride
> was important, then none of us poor hapless downtrodden lovers of the
> IMPORTANT things in life would have any Alfas to drive.
>
> Get a life Bob, your premise is skewed.

I respectfully disagree.

When they tore down the Boston Garden, they preserved the old parquet floor,
and ended up selling it off to the faithful.  Good karma, and good business.
They made a fair amount of money off the parquet pieces, some of which they
got some of the old Celtic legends to sign.

I would love to have some remnant from the old factory.  I think Fiat could
have dismantled the old factory and shown some respect for what was
accomplished there at the same time.  Even from a purely business
perspective you should never pass up an opportunity to generate good will.

Instead, they discarded the people, and the factory, like trash.  When Don
Black was dismissed I lost something in my heart for the current Alfa Romeo.

My .02,

bs