GTV6 radio antenna in windshield

In a message dated 12/09/2001 12:37:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'm having a later model GTV6 windshield, with antenna, installed in my 82
> GTV6 without. Could somebody with a GTV6 with the windshield antenna check
> to see if I need to drill a hole in the dash and give me an idea of how to
> route the antenna wiring

First, one of the few words I know in Italian is parabrezza, which is
windshield, so that qualifies me as an expert (plus, I have had the 84 GTV6
for about 12 years so far).

The radio connection snakes up under the dash and pops out at the center
bottom of the windshield in a way that definitely looks like a half-assed
afterthought.  But there you go.  There is a little footed connection on the
end on the wire and it attaches (somehow produces continuity) with the
windshield antenna (which I believe is made of conductive paint).  I live in
a big city and the radio reception is OK; in more distant areas I'm pretty
sure this is a lousy way to pluck signals out of the airwaves, but OTOH
nobody is going to snap it off and the electric motor isn't going south
either.

I think if you get the antenna cable to sneak out between the edge of the top
of the dashboard (it is made of crackum, a special material that is partially
vaporized by sunshine which is why they made it black and put it under a big
window) and pull a couple of leads out of it, you will be all set to figure
out how to attach wires to paint on glass.  Possibly you can make the
connection using a glue that will dry pretty fast and hold the wire onto the
antenna.

Avoid potholes and repeat.

Or, forget the windshield antenna and stick to what you were using in 82.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA