Home garage lifts

In AD8-0280 Tom Callahan writes Can someone point me toward the
discussion we had on automotive lifts for the home garage? Version
number? Particular digests (or a rough range)? It's research time and I'm
having some trouble locating the archived copies of the discussion ...

 Been discussed more than once, I think, but there was a fairly good
discussion in AD7-1248 through AD7-1255, pendant to a prior discussion of
garage-roof based engine hoist track systems. My own choice had been a
four-post lift made by Stinger, largely because I prefer a four-post and
because their offerings included a useful range of sizes (i.e., including
a convenient Alfa size) and accessories, and was powder coated (many are
just painted) and bicolored in black and (approximately) Farina red (no
single-color Alfa red variant, unfortunately) and was more elegantly
detailed than most, (the excessive graphics peel off) and was fully
competitive in price. They come disassembled, of course, with a claim
that they can be easily erected by two men, a boy, and a pizza; I got
mine up single-handed (pizza glutton) but a helper and more pizza might
have been easier.

 The market at the time was fairly fluid, ex-employees starting new
companies, folding, many similar products, probably most outsourcing from
a small cadre of fabricators, so brand options are perhaps ephemeral, but
there are usually several advertising in Hemmings and in the more
ad-glutted car mags such as Street Rodder. The 1248/1255 discussion
included partisan arguments for one-post, two-post, and four-post lifts,
EPA prohibitions, floor concrete technology, etc and is probably a good
place to start.

 Enjoy,

 John H.