Newest Alfa to US market

Reading what you're saying about the 166 and GTV /
Spider models and the possibility to sell them in US
market, let me say it seems to me quite impossible.

About the GTV / Spider, produced from 1995 to 2001 in
Arese and now no longer produced (and available with a
very good discount at every Alfa dealer, especially
here in Italy), it seems very difficult these car
could arrive oner the Atlantic ocean being no longer
produced. There are - since 1 year at least - rumors
about the new GTV / Spider range (perhpas in 2003/4)
and seems sure these car will be export to US market
(directly built by Fiat Auto in their US shape). I
remember a prototype of the GTV '95 showing the
typical red and amber side markers (in the bumpers as
for the 164 LS and last 115 Spider): so surely Fiat
thought to US market. But then decided not to sell in
USA.

About the 166, Mr. Paolo Cantarella was very clear
when launched the 166 (and on a 166 visited NY): "Many
persons see this car, stop us and say: this one must
return here, we want this. But itsn't the Alfa studied
for the US market, as itsn't the 156: the next sedan
range will be project also for US market". So,
considering these words, it seems the US market has to
wait the next generation of Alfa.

The next generation..... yeah, but which generation?
The joint venture GM - FIat will produce, as first
result, the disappearing of the V6 typical Alfa engine
(the violin of Arese, as told a greek friend) and also
Arese (the V6 are produced there) will disappear.
There were rumors about the new GTV / SPider as "rear
wheel driven", but as far as I remember these rumors
there were also when the 155 seemed not to be the
right sobstitute of the 75 / Milano and many would
have a new sedan based on the new Maserati layout
(then built under the Maserati 3200 GT wonderful
shape).

In conclusion, I suppose it's hard to think about GTV
and Spider (916 type) bought in Italy and then
exported to USA by a person not involved in the actual
management (Fiat Auto).
And it seems to me difficult also to think to the 166
on the USA streets: it's clear you US citizens keep
more attentions to some things as interior space,
luggage space and so on than US in Europe. The Alfa
156 has a luggage and interior less than as was in the
155. And the 166 is smaller, inside, than the 164
(also the LS).

I can't forget what an USA automotive expert (!) said
about the 156, after he drove it: it's small for US
market, would never have success.

It's clear the actual Alfa Romeo are smaller than the
oldest one or, at least, are smaller than you can
expect for a last'90s car. This was a choice (in my
opinion very correct) made by Fiat Auto: if you need
handling you don't need more space than the space
necessary, if you need luxury and space you can buy a
Lancia, if you need an honest and cheapest car you can
buy a Fiat.

I don't know how many US driver would buy a 166: in my
opinion not many, so the costs for a "US operation"
about the actual Alfa would be too high. Perhaps the
next range, projected having in mind also the US
market. Surely the actual range is not the ideal range
for US market.

THis is my opinion.

Ciao a tutti

Leo