Don't fall off your seat in surprise- Used Alfa Values

I nearly did!

Glass's Guide (the UK Bible of residual prices) has just published figures
showing that the current Alfa Romeo GTV coupe was the BEST performer in a
survey of residual prices of three years old cars, being worth 60.1% of its
new price as against the BMW 3 series at 50.5% and the Mercedes E class at
46%.

I've checked my calendar and it is not April First. It is a very sexy car mind
you and looks very good on the road or the forecourt.

The only depressing news is that large MPVs also hold their prices well. Lord
save me from driving a garden shed on wheels as a matter of choice, though I
confess there are odd days I could use one (wearing my false beard and
sunglasses naturally)

Alf 164 TS was nine years old yesterday and passed her MOT test without any
hassle at all, though the tester did point out that the rear silencer box did
not have that long before it rusted through, and showed me certain clip points
on the brake lines where surface rust was appearing which ought to be treated
sooner rather than later. Being a pre-cat car the emissions test is not all
that demanding with the allowable Hydrocarbon level being not more than 1200
ppm. Measured figure was 146ppm. Permitted CO level is not greater than 3.5%
volume. Measured figure was 0.32%

The brake effectiveness rolling road has two big dials which measure brake
effectiveness for each wheel on an axle and a green or red light that shows
for pass or fail. It was nice to see the needles on both dials showing equal
readings both front and rear, and green lights thankfully. They also spent a
worryingly long time checking the handbrake cables and effectiveness, but it
was all OK as he came out smiling!

The 11 year old Fiat Tipo being tested before the 164 failed on rusted through
spring seats on the front struts.This was a recall on the 164 quite early on
if you go back that far.

Andy the tester told me that his favourite cars were Japanese and his least
favourite from a quality aspect were French cars. He reckoned British built
cars were better than they had ever been, but still not as good as the Germans
and Japanese.

And for all those RWD types MG have just officially launched the ZT 385 sedan
which has a V8 with 385bhp and rear wheel drive and which is awesome according
to the testers. The 'ordinary' FWD ZT has a mere 190bhp and is quite a car.

Tim Hancock    164TS Lusso  Boston UK