164S symptoms of timing belt off by a cog

I'm trying to diagnosis why my '91 164S has a very
slight roughness at idle.  It's just had the heads
rebuilt and now it doesn't idle correctly.  I'd like
to hear from other listers about their experiences
with a belt being off by a cog or two.  What symptoms
did your motor show?  How did the idle sound?  Any
other indications?  Of course I'm not referring to
cars whos valves crashed into their pistons, nothing
that severe.

Thanks much,
Jerry Ecklund, San Francisco
'91 164S