Re: Alfa Racing History Lesson for some of our USA Alfisti

>Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:01:50 -0800 (PST)
>From: Zamani Zambri <zzambrimail@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re:Alfa Racing History
>
>Alfa Romeo has been very succesful in Touring Cars. In fact it is one
>of the MOST successful car manufacturers which participates in Touring
>car events. F1 is an expensive sport and Alfa was just not financially
>equipped to continue in that field. They got back to what they are
>really good at, Touring cars. The GTA, GTAm, 155,75,156, GTV6 are/were
>very successful super tourers.

Actually I have always found this general ignorance amusing on the Alfa
Digest. There have been many postings over the years of Alfa's racing
successes in the various Touring Car series held in various countries around
the world. However some do not seem to take notice of these postings as there
is still the common question asked (mainly by our fellow Alfisti in America)
of what racing achievements Alfa has had lately.

As a matter of fact on 21 October 2001 one our fellow Digesters, Ryan Fellini,
posted the following news: "156 - FIA euro touring car champ". The following
is a direct quote from his post: -

>News fresh from the final leg of the European Touring Car
>Championship in Estoril, Portugal.  Alfa Romeo (Team Nordauto)
>has won the championship (both team championship and driver):
>
>Team:
>Alfa Romeo Team Nordauto: 1627 pts
>JAS Engineering: 1013 pts
>Max Team: 745 pts
>
>Driver:
>Fabrizio Giovanardi, Alfa Romeo 156, 620 pts
>Nicola Larini, Alfa Romeo 156, 604 pts
>Gabriele Tarquini, Honda Accord, 579 pts
>Fabrice Walfisch, Honda Accord 434 pts
>
>Not a bad year for Italian machinery with the Ferrari F2001 winning
>the Formula One championship, the Ducati 996R (998 Testastretta)
>winning the World Superbike championship, and now the 156
>pulling in the touring cars.
>
>visit www.teamnordauto.com for more details on their 156..

Rather impressive year for Fiat and Alfa Romeo I would say!

To ad to Zamani's post though, I don't think it is a case of F1 being too
expensive for Alfa Romeo but rather a situation where it will not make sense
for Fiat to compete against itself in one type of motor sport - Why enter both
Alfa Romeo AND Ferrari into F1? Who would get the most financial, and
technical backing? Imagine the internal politics within the Fiat management of
which team must get the most benefit. Also if this would happen, it would be
only to the advantage of the other F1 teams!

That is why I think Alfa Romeo is being heavily involved in saloon car racing
(like the Touring Car series) and Ferrari in the more prestigious F1...

Regards,
Phill