Re:Alfa Racing History

In alfa-digest V8 #265, Jarmanhome@domain.elided writes......
>      ......Starting in 1993 with the 155GTA, right folks?   And Alfa made
> serious attempts, if not inroads, into Formula One with the Brabham chassis,
> something Porsche has NEVER done (except for a feeble one-season attempt in
> the mid-1960s, as I recall).

Wouldn't like to fuel another Porsche vs. Alfa Romeo war on the digest....
didn't we just have one of those, but......

Alfa Romeo has had touring car racing success in virtually every decade they
have built touring cars. 1960's, 70's, 90's have been covered, but we should
remember that in 1980's, the GTV6 was a consistent class winner in the ETC 2.5L
class, at least until the BMW M3 (E30) came along. Due to the way the points
system worked, this made it the outright winner of the British Touring car
championship in at least one year (anyone remember which year?). True, these
were not outright ETC wins, but the GTV6 was certainly a successful touring
car.

The GTV2.0, GTV6 and Alfasud also found success during the 1980's, in the WRC
Group A class (this was during the years where group B was the top class), with
class wins in international tarmac events like Monte Carlo and Tour de Corse.

I'm not sure about the comment about Formula One.... I think it's fair to call
the TAG Turbo engine (used by McLaren in the 1980's) a Porsche engine, and
didn't that engine win a world championship?

But in the end, these sort of discussions come down to someone arguing why this
result counts and that other one doesn't and why ETC is/isn't more important
than one very famous race that happens to run for 24hrs or racing across the
deserts of Northern Africa. Not sure of anyones chances of convincing someone
on the Porsche mailing lists, but good luck anyway :-)

Alex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand
1 x Alfasud ti
1 x Alfasud Sprint Veloce