Ferrari and Fiat

Joe Elliott asked:

"If he never forgave FIAT, why did he sell the company
to them instead of Ford?"

Revenge. They got the part that had just bored him
(the road cars), while he got to play with his racers
without worrying about the budget. What a lovely
retirement plan!

Let's also remember that Ford had rubbed his face in
the dirt with their choreographed 1-2-3 finish at
LeMans. He took it very personally (as I suspect it
was intended, in spite of Ford's disingenuous
protestations to the contrary), and this insult had to
trump his dislike of Fiat. Besides, had Fiat hired him
when he wanted them to, his career would very likely
have been considerably less lustrous, and I can't
believe he would not have come to understand that.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://shopping.yahoo.com