GTV Rear Deck Seals

I have been following the thread on GT trunk seals and just when I got to a
place where I had something to contribute, my @Home service seems to have
gone belly up. I knew I was continuing my AOL dial-up account for some
reason!

There is one other matter that should be considered when deciding which seal
to use. The "sill plate" on the inside rear edge of the trunk changes with
the change in seals. The old style sill plate, used with the seal glued to
the trunk lid, has a lip which fits over the rear edge of the trunk
sheetmetal. The later sill plates, used with the seal which fits on the body,
does not. It is not possible to use the old sill plate with the later seal.
The seal won't fit over the plate properly, so you must leave it off. This
gives the trunk an unfinished look, IMO. You could probably find a set of the
newer plates to fit on an earlier car, though. You can also butcher the old
plate to remove the lip, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Bob A.
Grand Rapids MI