milano questions

hi.  my first posting here... I just bought my first alfa (a red '88
milano verde) last week.  It has a few minor things which I can take
care of but there's one major thing I'm not sure how to tackle.  The
hadliner has dropped(?) and hangs down about 4 inches or so, just low
enough to be resting on my head when I sit.  It only hangs down in the
middle - it hasn't pulled from the edges at all.  It looks like the
center ceiling console may have been removed at one point as the
headliner doesn't look fully seated around it - could this be the cause
of the headliner problem?  Were milano headliners glued in with some
kind of adhesive or were they just stretch-fitted?
Thanks,
Dave