Re: roll pins in 2000 engines

Andrew,
	This topic is alway good for discussion on the digest.  Here's an
excellent website where a couple of our digest experts weigh in:

	http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/rollpins.html

	I by no means have the experience of John or Russ, so I will defer any
updated information to them.  But here are my two cents.
	First, when I did my first head gasket job on my '74 Spider, Alan Ward
suggested I trash the n-Buna o-rings (or whatever cheap rubber the factory uses
in their head gaskets.  The problem is that it hardens over time due to high
temperature use.) and use viton o-rings intead.  The viton o-rings maintain
their elasticity over a longer time.  This is important in an aluminum
block/aluminum head design because aluminum undergoes more thermal expansion and
contraction than iron.
	Second, it is important to capture the o-rings while you are assembling
the head.  It's easy to knock the little bastards out of place while your
struggling with getting the damn head on the block and not squishing your
fingers or throwing your back out.  I purchased a brass pin kit with the viton
o-rings from Alfa Parts to make the job easier.  But I think any of the
techniques listed on the webpage should work equally well.
	I am a little confused as to when the factory started to install the
roll pins.  If your block has the roll pins and they are sticking up, fine.  If
they are flat with the block, just drive them down and put new pins in.  If you
don't have them, then try one of the techniques on the webpage or get a kit from
Alfa Parts.
	Regarding oil flow issues, I'd say don't worry.  How many Alfa heads
have you seen that had the cam bearings line bored due to oil starvation?  None?
(But maybe a few line bored because the owner/mechanic lost track of which cam
caps went into which location/orientation!) How many Alfa heads have you seen
that leak oil due to rubber o-ring failure?  Lots!