Cold Start Valve/Injector

Could this be the cause of my problems?
My 86 Spider has been using more fuel and running okay but not great for the
past month.  The plugs are carbon coated & damp even after sitting overnight.
Until recently when I attempt to start, it turns over then starts after a few
revolutions.  This weekend, it turned over okay but backfired, barely started,
then I had to baby it until I could get it running.  After disconnecting the
Cold Start Valve the car started but ran rough then smoothed out to a normal
idle.
Assuming this is my problem, do I need this reconnected here in SW Florida
(usually stays above 35-40 degrees).  How would I adjust this valve and what
else could I check in case this isn't my whole problem?

Scott Cornish
86 Spider