Re: Pressure Brake Bleeders

Tim Mills asks

<What is the consensus on a good brake pressure bleeder
for bleeding the brakes solo?  >

Don't know about the Vacua brand, but a few weeks back I bought a device
called the Gunson Eezi Bleed which uses spare tire pressure (let down to below
20psi). I obeyed the instructions and flushed out the old fluid in my 164 and
replaced it with new with very little trouble, but if you are screwing a
pressure cap on the fluid reservoir make sure it seals well, but be careful
about screwing the cap too hard or you could damage the thread on the fluid
reservoir. Go steady and its dead easy.

Before you embark on this make sure ALL your bleed nipples are not seized. If
they are be very careful as they can shear off in worst case scenarios. If
they are tight then soak them in proper penetrating oil overnight, and/or,
being mindful of the proximity of the fuel tank and associated vapour, you can
use a small gas torch to heat the caliper to help you release the nipples. If
they are seized then patience is a virtue. i.e. soak them with fluid then heat
them, and if it still does not work leave it a few days and repeat. Its
amazing that threads you thought were stuck forever sometimes release with
great ease if they are soaked with fluid and given a few day to "think" about
it.

Where tight nuts and bolts are concerned remember the saying "Little knocks
can move great rocks where bigger knocks will break them". This little number
was taught me by a bloke who used to fix Humber staff cars in the North
African desert in WW2. He told me they used to make new big end bearings by
pouring white metal into the crank journals and rotating the crank slowly
until the metal hardened. Now thats what I call being a mechanic!

Tim Hancock    164TS Lusso  Boston  UK
(going to look at a 164 for sale for 150 pounds with a knackered engine
tomorrow.....only the wife doesn't know it yet.......watch out for mushroom
cloud over East Anglia)