Re: 105 emergency Bonnet release - Factory Fitted

In AD8-0237 Warren Reid writes:

"When dismantling my very rusty 1750 Berlina (1970 model) I noticed that it
looked as though the factory had fitted emergency bonnet release cables. The
Berlina had 2 bonnet locking mechanisms, unlike my GTV and apart from the
normal cable operated release (which is still on the LHS of a RHD car) there
was also 2 lengths of thick nylon cord with two large rubber grommets on the
end. I only found these after I removed the dashboard. They were in the cabin,
either side of the heater and probably hidden what was left of the
trim/carpet.

"Don't know if this was a standard fitment for latter GTVs (my 68 GTV doesn't
have them) and Spiders (haven't checked mine yet) but might be worthwhile for
people to have a look and if fitted, see if they work. You never know sooner
or latter.....SNAP!

"I plan to fit a variant of these to my bonnet and boot release mechanisms on
the GTV.

"Perhaps the esteemed Mr Hertzman can dig us up a part number for them?

Esteemed? Not by anyone who really knows me. I'll pass on that, thank you. But
the parts book says that the (single) nylon line ("cable, emergency release",
"Cavo apertura emergenza cofano") on the 2000 Berlina is 105.48.56.361.00,
wrapped at midlength around a ring 2620.28995 and secured at the ring and at
both ends on the two latches by three sleeves 105.48.56.362.00 which are
crimped on the cable. The 105.48 prefix dates its first use on the 1750
Berlina, but I don't have a clue on the origins of the 2620.28995 ring. There
is no mention of lhd/rhd differences, but the setup which Warren Reid
describes seems to differ in detail, two lines with grommets on either side of
the heater.

I don't have my 1750 coupe/Spider parts book handy, and don't have a later
coupe/Spider parts book, so I can't comment on later uses of this elegant,
simple, and occasionally very useful idea.

The emergency cable which Jay Mackro fitted on his Duetto, described in
AD8-0236, was a steel cable from a hardware store; if one wanted a nylon
monofilament but one heftier than the "fishing line" which had previously been
mentioned there are several more substantial weights of nylon lines sold in
garden departments for use in weed trimmers. The bicycle cables which have
often been mentioned as replacements for the Spica throttle cables should also
be about the right weight for the job

Cheers,.

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.