Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:30:10 +1100
From: "John Wiltshire"
<John.Wiltshire@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Is my rack stuffed?

Dave, Michael and Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts on the steering rack problem.
 You have all
given
me some direction, and to help track down the problem,
here is a little
more detail.

As Tim describes, there is a few inches of "dead
space" in the steering
wheel.

When I'm talking about fore-and-aft movement in the
front wheels, this
is
detectable when grabbing the wheels in the "quarter to
three" position
and
rocking them.  There is more movement in the RHS wheel
than the LHS.
When
the wheel rocks, the tie rod moves with it, but the
steering rack
doesn't
seem to.  I asked my wife to move the wheel while I
was under the car
watching, and again the rack didn't appear to move
(this was with the
front
jacked up - I didn't try it with the wheels on the
gound).  This
movement
is identical both before and after the ball joint and
A-arm bushing
replacement.

If the rack itself is loose, should it be visibly
loose from
underneath?

My other thought is that I was recently rear-ended.  I
was pointing
slightly uphill with my foot on the brake when I was
hit - is it
possible
that the impact has jolted something out of place in
the steering rack?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!  (particularly
thoughts that say that
can just tighten the bolts for zero $$$!!)

Regards,
John Wiltshire
http://personals.yahoo.com