Re: 77 fuel pump

Hi Shane:

I've got a '74 Spica Spider and last Spring I found a domestic-made pump
that fits and works well.  Of course, I caught some heat from the Digest
'purists', but the pump has worked well for over 3,000 miles now, looks
exactly like the Bosch, and provides sufficient pressure and volume.  I'll
attach my original posting below this.

I will caution on a few things, however.  The pump I have exceeds the specs
of the OEM pump, but it may cross over to some other domestic-branded pump
that might not.  All I'll say is that mine works perfectly, and any pump
that provide enough pressure and volume should.  I remember reading on the
Digest that another Spica owner (I've forgotten his name) was able to use a
Holley pump, which was similarly priced and had rebuild kits available for
just a few $.  I also looked into that, but I preferred the pump I bought
because it looked OEM and was easier to bolt on.  I didn't have to, but you
might have to adjust the orifice size in the Spica outlet hose to fine-tune
fuel pressure.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce
Lutz, FL

=========================
My Digest posting from 3/4/01:

I had to replace the failed Spica electric fuel pump on my '74 Spider, and
I was determined to find a reasonably-priced domestic replacement. I've
seen that question asked on the Digest before, but never saw (maybe missed)
any definitive answer. After about 1/2 hour of 'net research, I found a
pump that looked to have specs in the right ballpark. It is a Master
#E2000, rated at 95psi and 160gph (that's free-flowing, with no head, fuel
line friction or back pressure, filter, etc. Numbers are much lower in a
real installation.), and it apparently fits some big Ford pickup with an
injected 5-liter V8. Appearance-wise, it looks like a clone of the OEM
Bosch pump, and fits the same hoses, bracket, electrical connections,
etc. It is different in that the hose barbs are brass, instead of
plastic. If you originally had a Spica pump (pre-'75), rather than a Bosch
('75-on), the output fuel line will have to be changed, but it's probably a
good idea to renew all old those hoses (the filter, too), anyway. The
Spica pump also used a different style bracket, but a 2" muffler clamp
works well in it's place, as might a clamp from an old ignition
coil. Because of its high output, I didn't put a restrictor orifice in the
Spica FI pump return port, as is required with the OEM Bosch pump on a
pre-75 car. I drove the car for about an hour last night, and it runs
great, and seems to start quicker, but my Spica pump had been ailing for at
least the last month.

The best news is that the pump was in-stock at the local AutoZone store,
for just $74.99, with a lifetime replacement warranty. If you don't have
an AutoZone nearby, or a store that stocks the Master brand, Airtex also
uses the same E2000 part number, and a good parts dealer can probably
cross-reference a similar pump. This pump may also work on some later
cars, like the post-Spica Spiders ('82 - '94), GTV6's and Milano's, since
their OEM Bosch pumps can be retrofitted to the older Spica cars.

As with all such advice, YMMV, and you should proceed at your own risk, but
this is a modification to my Spider that I'm completely comfortable with.