fuel/electrical problem with '86 Spider

I have an '86 Spider Quad.  It will currently crank, however, it stops after a couple of seconds.  As a first step, I changed the fuel filter.  This didn't solve the problem.  During the fuel filter change, I did observe the fuel pump.  With the key simply in the 'ON' position, it pumps one burst of fuel and stops as if to prime the system.  In the 'CRANK' position it pumps continually.  This leads me to believe that the fuel pump is fine mechanically, but there is an electrical problem somewhere when the key goes back to the 'ON' position after cranking.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jack Littlejohn
Clemson, SC