water for battery

I am an electrical engineer and my responsibilities include large
Uninteruptable Power Supplies which use batteries to "fill in the gap" between
loss of utility power and startup of emergency diesel generators. We switched
to maintenance free batteries on one UPS and it was a big mistake. They
started to fail within 2 years. They are not tolerant of over charging. It is
not an issue with a UPS, but they don't recover from a total discharge
(leaving your lights on) as good as the kind that require water addition.
Industrial maintenance free batteries have shorter warranties. I would think
twice before buying a maintenance free battery for any purpose.
Ed Prytherch
73 GTV
79 Spider