flywheel locking tool

I found a tool that ought to work as a 4-cyl engine flywheel locking tool
for removing the crank nut, flywheel bolts, etc., though only if the engine
and trans are separated. It's a VW flywheel locking tool, EMPI part
00-5003-0. I bought it from CIP, but probably most VW mail order places and
shops will have it or a similar tool. It was under $10, and fits well on the
72 2000 engine I have in my garage.  I ought to fit similarly well on a
1750, but haven't tried it on a 1600, though it's pretty adaptable, and has
different depths on its two sides for 6-volt and 12-volt VW flywheels.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register