RE: header wrap

> in order to keep the engine bay temperature in check and protect
> the abs pump,
> I had wrapped the shankle chrome headers with header wrap, but
> after talking
> to Ed of headers by Ed, he said that header wrap is really bad
> for the headers
> and it will damage them. I also noticed in the IAP catalog that
> header wrap
> voids the warranty for them.
>
> Anyone wants to offer any input on the Shankle headers as far as
> wrap goes?
> Should I take it off? How would that affect the ABS pump, it seems to be
> hotter already with the wrap on there already.

I'd avoid header wrap.

Here's what I did on my Verde, with Shankle headers:

First, the damn things leaked all over the place.  I had Paul Glynn seam
weld between the tubing and the flanges (stock they were just tack welded in
a few places).  Then, he machined the flanges flat.  Finally, on the advice
of Don Happel (anybody seen Don around lately?), Paul welded the downpipe
bolts to the headers.  Everybody who's installed Shankle headers on a V6
knows how frighteningly difficult these things can be, well fixing the bolts
to the headers means that one person can bolt everything up from underneath
the car.

After all that, we sent the headers and downpipes out to be HPC coated.

I was able to bolt everything up myself in an hour or so, no leaks (except
one tiny one I'm chasing between the down pipes and the cat).

If I had to do it again, I'd do exactly the same thing.

HTH,

bs