Re: Rear ends of 164

Chiming in here, as an ex-164 owner, I have to agree that the car is very
consistent in its handling characteristics, regardless of conditions.  This
is primarily why I liked it as a family car, since my wife and young son were
tooling around in it daily, year round.  Ours was a '94 LS (Super), and was
delivered with the Goodyear NCT2 tires.  The only other car I''ve ever driven
that felt as surefooted, or more so, in the wet, was an AWD Subaru sedan
(yes, that's a compliment).   Although one of the Goodyears blew out a
sidewall on the expressway, I still admired their rain tenacity.  I only
recall sensing our LS hydroplaning one time, in an absolute gully-washer of a
storm where water was standing probably an inch on pavement.  So, they all
have limits, so slow down.
Winter driving-- ditto.  We had a set of winter tires mounted, and the car
was just unstoppable on anything less than 5" - 6" deep.   The steering and
breakaway feel was identical to that of summertime dry roads, only much lower
limits of course.  The few people I allowed to drive it commented on how
solid and "connected" it felt, and some of these were not really car people,
you know.   The only area I felt Alfa skimped a bit on were the brakes, and I
think this had to do more with pad selection that any major design factors.
I do know a switch to improved pads helped high speed stopping power.
There may have been a couple of times when I felt the rear end bob around in
response to some really bad pavement taken con brio, but it always remained
controllable.  It would even oversteer, if provoked correctly!
Overall, a really comfortable and competent automobile, the 164.

Dave Jarman
Lexington KY
USA