RE: Wheel bearings or ???

> As I roll down the road, I'm feeling a back and forth, right-left motion
in my
> steering wheel that gets really bad at 60 MPH and above. It's not an up
and
> down vibration like an unbalanced wheel. So I'm assuming loose wheel
bearings.

> Or might it be something more like ball joints or a bad steering box?

Could be a bent wheel.

Get the front end of the car up off the ground (securely on jack stands).
Try wiggling each wheel in turn.  If it's wheel bearings, it should be
obvious.  Otherwise, try spinning each wheel and watch the edge of the wheel
relative to the fender, if one is bent that too should be obvious.

If it's neither of the above then you need to inspect the suspension
further.

My vote is for a bent wheel, a wheel bearing that is bad enough to cause a
noticeable vibration at high speeds should be making a *lot* of noise at
real low speeds.

bs