Milano oil cooler

I must confess, this is a little confusing.  At near 100C degrees, some water
will evaporate, greatly dependent on how close you are to boiling.  The _rate_
at which it evaporates will determine how many Joules are absorbed.  So
certainly if the delta from 100 is great, then you will have an exponentially
lower rate and you are then dependent on water-air cooling.
However, if the point is to keep oil cool, then spraying ice water on the
cooler should be able to cool the system quite rapidly, since:
-the rate that heat is absorbed is tremendous,
-warmed-over water gets replaced with more ice water
Empirically, when quenching various molten or hot metals, ice water is
preferable to RT water.  It cools the system much more rapidly, providing
better TTT curves.
I'm a little rusty, so feel free to contradict!
Darren

<snip here>
>work best on your Milano, but in theory, I'd vote for the water spray at
>ambient temperature.  Remember that neither the oil cooler nor the radiator
>will likely be operating at above the boiling point of water, so you don't
>want to discourage quick evaporation by icing the water.
<and here>