Stalling 164, check the obvious first!!!!

Hi All,
Had problems with the 164 3.0. It started about three weeks ago, sometimes
it would run for 100 miles with no problems and others it keep dying and
starting again almost immedeatly. By this week it had begun to cut out and
die completly every couple of hundred yards. I had recently replaced the
cambelt and assumed because it ran perfectly then died that it must be
something sensor or engine management causing the problem. I replaced the
TDC sensor (knocked about a bit to get it off) and still nothing. Eventually
I took it to the trusty Dave at Intaservices in Leicester and he couldnt
find it at first. Finally he decided to do the thing we all would have done
in the days of carburetors and non electric ignition, look in the
distributor. I have the toasted rotor arm by my side and I have to say that
it is beyond belief that the car would run with that at al, let alone the
800 miles its gone since the problem started.

Moral of the story is it may look like engine management, may smell like
engine management and even sound like engine management but check the old
problems first!!!!

Mike Salter
Leicester
England