Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:42:27 -0600
From: roland_moreno@domain.elided
Subject: car won't start

Our 85 Graduate will not start.  Yesterday, with sunny skies and temps
in
the 60's here in Wisconsin, I decided to take the Spider.  It was last
driven about 3 weeks prior without problems.  I turned the key, the
battery
dummy light went dim and I was convinced the battery was dead.  I hooked

the battery up to the battery charger on automatic setting of 2amps for
the
daytime before going to work, then to 10amps for about 2 hours when I
got
home.  Gauge on charger showed a full charge.  It stumbled a little, but

started.  I backed it into the driveway and left it idling (idleing?)
for
about 20 minutes to give the baby a bath (not the spider, a real baby),
turned the car off to tend to a few things and when I tried to start the

car about 10 minutes later, it wouldn't turn over.  The battery light
burns
brightly and I hear a whirring sound in the rear (fuel pump?) and I
think I
heard a few click----click,clicks from the front when I turned the key.
was able to get the car going by letting it coast down the driveway in
gear
and easing out the clutch.  It revved and idled just fine and I was able
drive into the garage again.

It seems that the ignition and fuel systems are doing well.  Could this
just be the starter  (unknown age) or a poor battery (about 5-6 years
old).
How can I test the starter?   What size battery does the car take?

Thanks!

Roy