Re: Spider shocks

Hi Glenn:

I've got the Bilsteins on my '74 Spider, and they are very stiff.  In fact,
at first I was quite disappointed, but now that I've gotten used to them
(and perhaps they've broken-in some, too), they're OK.  I also use the
yellow sport springs from Ereminas, and the stiffness mostly comes from the
shocks.  The springs went in first, and w/o the shocks attached the
suspension was easily compressed.  I paid just over $200 for the set of
springs and $76 each for the Bilsteins.

For good prices on Bilstein, Koni and KYB, try:

http://www.shox.com/

http://www.eshocks.com/

The Koni Classics (red) are priced about the same as the Bilsteins, and the
KYB's were about $36 each, at least when I shopped for mine in
February.  If you can't find a listing for the KYB's, let me know, I've got
the part #'s somewhere.

I've also used the OEM Sachs shocks on a '72 Spider, and they're not bad,
when they're not 20+ years old, but you're not likely to find them for any
less than the discount-priced Bilsteins or Konis.  Never had a set of Spax,
but I've used Koni red's on many cars and liked them all.  Perhaps the
KYB's are just what you're looking for, and for less than $150/set, might
be worth a try.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided