Spica belt woes, and the cure

Hi Group:

Since Saturday I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the new drive belt
on my hopefully-now-not-leaking-oil Spica pump.  Last year I learned the
trick for successful belt installation from a fellow Digester (I think it
was Dana Loomis.  Thanks again.).  The trick is to hold the belt in place
on the top half of the pump pulley with one's right hand, while rolling the
front tire backwards (the car is in 5th gear) with the other hand.  The
first time I tried last year, the belt slipped right on.  This weekend, I
must have tried the same trick over 30 times, and succeeded only in getting
bloody and sore hands.

So, why the problems this time?  As near as I can tell, it was fully the
fault of the new belt, this one a US-made 'Jason' brand.  This particular
belt was much thinner than the Japanese belt it was to replace, and thus
very much more flexible.  Perhaps so flexible, that it remained twisted on
the bottom side of the pump pulley, jumping teeth, instead of eventually
straightening out and fully slipping on.  The more I thought about it, the
more I thought this might be true, so I snipped it off the crank pulley and
went to another belt I had.  My right hand was so beat up I could barely
squeeze the pliers to cut the belt.

Belt number 2 was a UK-made Uniroyal, fully twice as thick and much stiffer
(maybe stronger, too).  I tried the recommended trick, and this time the
belt slipped right onto the pump pulley in just one attempt.  No swearing,
no bleeding, no problems.

Now the question is, who sells the "good" belts?  Anyone know, or will I
have to call the usual suspects to see who stocks what brand?

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce