Backup lights on '93 Spider

Way back in V8 #202 Glenn Wasserman asks: The backup lights on my Spider
stopped working. Is this an easy repair??

*********

I feel Ralph Fetsch's suggestions in V8 #203 are quite good.

And Tim Hancock's comment: "I was once taught a 'mantra' by a BSA
trained
mechanic which went "98% of all electrical faults are earthing
/grounding
faults"might well be the solution.

Having fought this battle on older Spiders so am using this as a
reference: Do check the bulb and it's ground and center 'clip', then
reinstall the bulb but leave the cover off. I'd doubt if it's a burned
out bulb because this has to be one of the least used bulbs on the car
(unless you have a really narrow and really long driveway.

While the following is the least fun thing to do is jack up the front of
the car (and possibly the rear), go ahead. Do the jack stand thing and
Be Safe. Then find the wires emanating from the transmission. They'll
either be emanating from the bellhousing or the rear of the
transmission. I'm assuming the bellhousing, since one of the suggestions
was, "How's your clutch?" this tells me the tranny needs to be removed
to get to the switch.

I repeat that I work on primarily older Spiders and these wires are
generally holding on by a wing and a prayer. They're next to the exhaust
and if your car engine and / or transmission leak at all, they will be
covered with oil, grit, and general gunk.

Clean them off thoroughly (the entire length which is exposed), check
for cracks in the wiring, then disconnect wires from those leading up
the firewall. With the car in reverse (and the ignition Not turned on)
place an ohmmeter between the wires. If it moveshurrah!, hurrah!,
you've got fire down below (the good kind).

{If you have a helper handy, have them somewhat jiggle the gearshift
lever as you're testing the wires underneath. There is a slight
possibility they might come on in certain positions and not others(over
and down hard or over and down soft).}

I'd install 3/16" heat shrink tubing before moving on if the wires look
at all iffy (hair dryers work fine for shrinking if you don't have the
quicker heat gun). Don't use electrical tape hereit's a waste of time.

NOW that you know the 'beginning' and 'end' are in good shape, start
moving up the electrical (food) chain, using the ohm meter.

Assuming you don't have to pull the tranny, you'll be So pleased when
you find the culprit.

Good luck!

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA