spider steering idler

Digesters,
I took my 85 spider for alignment at an experienced alfa shop.
They replaced two tie rod ends but noticed that there was excess
motion in the idler assembly. When they set the alignment and
took it for a drive, they said that the alignment went slightly
out due to the bad assembly. They said it's not dangerous and
that the assemblies are temporarily unavailable. I got a second
opinion that a problem with wasted motion in the assembly is most
likely fixed by replacing the two bushings within the idler assembly.
When I look at the service manual, the bushings are each held in
place by a circlip, cap, and several washers, if I am remembering
correctly. I ordered the bushings ($6 apiece). Any advice in the
replacement of the bushings, removal of the assembly, whether this
is indeed a cause of the alignment going out, how to isolate the
causes of the alignment going out, etc. The provider of
the bushings suggested to take the assembly and new bushings to a
machine shop for replacement.
Thanks!
Jim 85 spider Charlottesville, VA