GTV6 coolant bottle caps

In a message dated 11/05/2001 5:45:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> 1982 GTV-6: cooling system/cylinder head
>
> Richard, Alan's suggestion regarding blockage is certainly a
> possibility.  I would also offer the possibility that you have a bad
> pressure seal somewhere in the system, most likely at the cap/bottle
> interface.
I have found the caps last only a few (around 5) years before they rot away.
Someone got the idea to make them out of a couple of types of metal and I
guess bigalvanic reaction to the moist and hot environment causes a low
electric charge.  Anyhow, that sound suitably scientific.  Empirically, they
will rot away form the inside where the spring is attached and then they're
toast.  If it is a pressure issue this is a cheap and easy fix, and my
favorite -- one callig for no tools other than the ones you were born with.

That said, I never had a vomiting bottle issue when the cap was worn out, but
that may be because I just replaced it before it happened.  I would go for
the idea of the blockage in the T connector in the plumbing.  BTW, when was
the last time you had the radiator cleaned?  You have just water in it now --
what kind of water?  Corrosive potable water or gentle as a babe distilled?
(Jay Negrin will get on me for the H2O comments, but I would be suspicious of
a cooling system that has had tap water dissolving it for very long).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA