Re: Trouble filling '93 Spider

The Colbournes have filling problems:
> My '93 spider has a nasty problem when I'm trying to fill it with gas.  I
> have to hold the fuel hose at an angle and hold the trigger at about 1/4 or
> it will stop.  It's impossible to leave the hose unattended.
>
> Is anyone aware of what the problem might be?

Well, you can add my '93 Spider to the list as well as Glenn's and yours.  I
have a feeling the problem has to do with the hose that's supposed to recover
fumes.  I know I have to check mine because there is certainly venting when I
open the gas cap.  Do you guys hear the hiss as well?

FWIW, for my car, the most effective method of getting the fuel to flow is to
insert the pump normally (i.e., not inverted as Tess suggested), hold the
handle the standard way, but pull up on the handle as you pump.  IOW, this
points the tip of the nozzle more inward (toward your legs).  In NY, you're not
really supposed to leave it unattended anyway, and they remove the hold-down
clips on every self-serve pump.  I usually use the gas cap (on my other cars)
to hold the pump trigger on while I attend to other things, but I guess
we're not supposed to do that.
--
jw