Re: Importing to the U.S.

<< I understand the usual method is very expensive and probably not even
possible without some examples available for crash testing.  I'm curious how
some manage to get around these requirements.  >>

  Ah...getting around requirements.  I have a small bit of experience with
that, though certainly not with any high-dollar foreign stuff.  As with all
my other superpowers, these ideas can be used for good or bad.  Let your
conscience be your guide.
  In New Hampshire (and I think Maine) you can register anything over 15
years old with just a bill of sale.  Titles aren't issued on cars that old.
You'd have to prove residency, but you'd probably have that problem
everywhere else too.  Find a cheesy rooming house near your hotel, pay for a
week, get a rent receipt, send yourself a postcard, and you've got residency.
 That doesn't help much though if you want something newer than a 15 year old
car.
  Many other states are also fairly liberal with their registration process.
I've heard that you can register pretty much anything in North (or is it
South?) Carolina.  They don't care.  If you get busted, that's your problem.
They want the revenue.
  Here in Washington you can register a car without a title just by telling
them you lost the original.  If the car is from out of state, and therefor
not in their system, they won't issue a title for 3 years (a waiting period,
just in case it's stolen).  You can, however, register the car, drive it,
sell it, do whatever you want.  The registration is issued (I think) with
"NTI" stamped on it, meaning "No Title Issued".  Depending on what state you
subsequently take the car to, the DMV may not have a clue why the
registration is NTI.  Look surprised, play dumb, and they may just issue a
new title to you rather than get off their butt to go figure out what's going
on.  I'm still exploring this possibility.
  The major obstacle for a foreign vehicle is the VIN.  I don't know about
the Carolina's, but in Washington you have to have a State Police inspection
done on any vehicle coming from out of state.  They run the VIN through NCIC,
and I'm not sure how you could get around the fact that you won't have a 17
digit VIN.
  In states that don't do an actual inspection it could be a little easier.
If you get a copy of the NADA value guide there is a section in the front
that tells you how to decipher a VIN.  Once you figure out how the numbering
system works for each manufacturer, make up a VIN for the DMV.  This would
probably require forging paperwork though, but hey...in for a penny, in for a
pound, right?  If you're registering a post-'95 Alfa, obviously you don't run
the risk of them saying "Hey, that VIN is already in the system" since there
were no Alfa's here after '95.
  Two other options -- I've heard of cars that are gutted and brought in as a
"Kit".  The State Police issues a VIN, which you then use to register your
kit-car.  Dunno how exactly that works.  Also, I once had a friend in
California with a Yamaha RZ 500 (2 stroke, 4 cylinder, power curve like an
ice pick) that he had registered as a RZ 250.  The 500 was illegal, the 250
was sold here in the US.  He brought the bike in from Canada for track use
only (wink, wink), replaced the '500' stickers with '250' stickers, and just
went to the DMV and blatantly lied.  It's only illegal if you get caught,
right?
  There are probably a lot more cars with questionable paperwork out there
than any of us might think.  Even here in little 'ole Olympia, WA, there is a
Renault Clio somewhere.  I saw it at, of all places, the K-mart service
center getting an oil change.  It had the standard Washington plate, with no
stickers indicating military or diplomatic ownership.  I seriously doubt
anybody would jump through all the legal hoops, and toss out buckets of
money, just to import a Clio.
  I suspect that when somebody asks "How do I import a 1999 Gofastica Super?"
and they don't get a wealth of response, it's because the people who have 'em
don't want to incriminate themselves.  Whatever you get, just don't wreck it.
 You certainly won't be able to fool the insurance company into thinking your
155 is a Milano, no matter how you've disguised it.

Bryan Carter
Olympia, WA