Alfas, expensive and cheap.

Eric Storhok observed:

"Subject: I think he missed a decimal point...

"http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/4/8/15769648.htm

"Unless he has been talking to the guy in Kansas..."

Decimal point, heck...I think he missed a lot more
than that! Can YOU spell "parts car"? That poor hulk
actually makes my Berlina look good.

On the subject of that old nag, we had to use it the
other day when the Milano's rather hair-raising
problems (the steering rack almost falling off, you
may recall) were being addressed. Tania had sworn that
she would never ever under any circumstances ride in
Fernando, but we had a date with some clients, and
money talks pretty damned loud around the Owen house
these days...so I installed the new seatbelt on the
passenger side, and swaddled the ruined upholstery in
a towel (seat) and t-shirt (back), and off we went to
Monrovia. Well, by the time we drove to Glendale to
pick up the Milano, she had at least stopped referring
to the Berlina as "This Piece Of S**t," though she
never expressed any real fondness for it, and remains
uncomprehending of mine.

Of course she realizes that a driver's affection for a
vehicle is not something that can be adequately
explained, nor did I try to do that. What I did
attempt was to spell out the rational parts of my
attachment, which went something like this:

> The structure is quite sound, however ugly the paint
and Bondo might be. There is no significant rust on
any part of it, period.

> The engine is fairly healthy now, and, unless I put
a rod through the block or let expired coolant corrode
the alloy, it is almost infinitely rebuildable.

> Yes, I paid about twice what I should have for it,
but it's paid for, and it shows every sign of being
pretty cheap to run...especially if I continue not to
give a rat's ass what it looks like.

> It fits me, it suits me, it encourages thoughtful
driving and an appreciation of such minute pleasures
as a gearshift lever that lets one feel the gears
shifting.

In short, this is a car that I can probably drive for
the rest of my earthly sojourn if I want to. And I
think I might want to. I'd like to tidy it up, replace
the badly "repaired" front clip, rewire it, stuff like
that...but in the meantime it has replaced my
long-departed Falcon as My Buddy, The Car.

So Tania said, "Since when is an 'infinitely
rebuildable engine' a good reason to keep a car?" And
since any analogies that came to mind would have
gotten me in big trouble if uttered, I just said, "Oh,
I guess it's one of those Midwestern kinds of
things..."

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://personals.yahoo.com